The specifications developed by Ecogarantie® are based on:
- The principles of sustainability,
- The respect for the delicate balance between plants, animals and humans,
- Consumers’ expectations.
Consequently ingredients and manufacturing methods of Ecogarantie® products have to meet a number of criteria.
Sustainability takes into account the social, economic and ecological fields. Therefore, while producing ecological goods, the company:
- May respect human rights and adopt ethical behaviour,
- Use a fair price policy,
- Pay attention at the origin of the ingredients and the renewability of raw materials.
- The production may respect basic human rights or be linked to social justice. Every company who employs more than 10 people must have a social justice policy. He will guarantee equal rights and equal treatment to all his employees, without discriminating them on the basis of age, sex, race, philosophical convictions or sexual inclination.
- Every company has to be profitable. Fair prices must therefore be paid to suppliers, and consumers must be offered fair prices as well.
The repercussions on the environment should be kept as limited as possible.
- Organically-grown if available,
- No animal test on the final product,
- Raw materials and packaging materials will be maximally renewable,
- Origin of ingredients subject to processes used,
- No halogen chemistry,
- No GMO or GMO techniques in the production chain,
- No amount or limited amount of VOC (Volatile Organic Components),
- Low input of energy while producing,
- Minimal waste while sourcing the raw materials,
- High level of recycling,
- Low emissions,
- Reasonable transport
Ecogarantie® products need to observe the Belgian and European legislations on product safety. This means for example that every company is obliged to take a few precautions concerning traceability.
- Minimal impact on the environment
Ecogarantie® products need to have a minimal impact on the environment. This means for example a low level of toxicity for water life, good biodegradability both anaerobic and aerobic and limited amount of harmful minerals.